Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Why I am NOT a Social Media Expert ... so don't listen to me!

In many of my talks, seminars and workshops, I am always introduced as an expert in social media. To be honest, I cringe at this description as I do not consider my an expert.

This is because, according to the dictionary, an expert is defined as "a person who is very knowledgeable about or skilful in a particular area." I am not! In fact, I can tell you that nobody can legitimately claim to be an expert in social media.
 
Yes, I know about social media. And yes, I likely know more than most. But social media is a field that is ever evolving and one that evolves at an incredible pace. To stay abreast of all the developments and to be very knowledgeable about it all is impossible. In fact, I always start out my workshops by stating that I do not know everything about social media.
 
My point is this. Social media is just a tool for facilitating and amplifying communications. It is not rocket science. As a business owner, you know your business better than any consultant ever can. So don't ever let a so called "social media expert", push you to adopt a fad or platform you know will never work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media Marketing - Why Native Advertising

The only constant in social media marketing is that it is constantly evolving. As marketers continually try to beat Facebook's and Goo...